WHAT IS A MALA?
A L L A B O U T T H E M A L A
Adornment rooted in deep + purposeful meaning. That is what comes to mind when I think of a Mala necklace.
They are extremely trendy right now, but they are so much more than a pretty necklace. In Hindu and Buddhist tradition they are used for mantra meditation. As you repeat the same words over and over again, you begin to quiet the mind. At the same time you are bringing the power behind the mantra into being.
There are many synchronicities in nature that relate to the number 108.
It is considered a sacred number.
- There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet. Each has a masculine and a feminine. 54x2=108.
- In astrology, there are 12 house + 9 planets. 12 x 9=108.
- The diameter of the sun is 108 times the diameter of the earth.
- There are 540 doors to Valhalla in Nordic mythology. 540/5=108
- 108 stitches in a baseball.
The list goes on.
The Mala is always 108 beads plus your one guru bead/charm. This bead that completes the the cycle and brings the words into being. This bead/charm that gives you space to thank those that came before you, those who are assisting you on your path now and those who will follow after you.
There is power in these beads.
Use them with purpose and wear them with humble gratitude.